Ashfield, Melville Street, Edinburgh
The building at 61 Melville Street stands on the north corner of Melville Street and Manor Place, directly opposite the Chapter House of St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral. It was built in 1860-61, some thirty years after the rest of the street had been completed, and is therefore slightly younger than it appears from the outside, having been designed as a pavilion to complement the rest of the frontage of both streets.
The Governors of the Edinburgh Trades Maiden Fund own the ground floor and the basement flat; the upper floors, which are accessed from Manor Place, are the property of the Cathedral.
On the ground floor there are four rooms, three of which house the museum collection of artefacts and the Convenery’s Hall; the fourth room houses the library and archive.